Arounds

We have several interesting places to visit close to Tricio just a few minutes away by car.

NAJERA

Archaeological studies indicate a dense prehistoric occupation of the hills bordering the current city and those located in its municipal term, at least since the bronze age. During the iron age shows a continued process of concentration of the population which will result in the emergence of more complex villages composed of rectangular houses partially excavated in the rock, built with wood trusses and adobes (Mill Hill).

These celtibéricos villages that are found, and sometimes destroyed, the Roman conquerors correspond the berones settlers who cite classical sources.

During the Roman period, the current Najera is part of Tritium (Tricio), located two kilometres away. Tritium was since the mid of the s. I and to s. VI the main Center peninsular Potter. Their ceramics were profusely distributed throughout Hispania and the provinces of the Western Mediterranean. Extending for your entire environment, the potteries and Roman villas are, even within the current najerino town.

Under Muslim rule rises a castle refuge at the Summit of the hill that dominates Najera, plaza that will be essential in the La Rioja Alta and the Christian border control.

SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA

The population of Santo Domingo de la Calzada already is a small village in the 11th century, although it is mentioned for the first time in the cartularies of 1136. This small core concentrated its population around the Church and the hospital which was launched Sunday, the hermit who is at the origin of the settlement of our city and on its own behalf. The town will be under the rule of Abbot until 1250, date in which will change from abadenga to get, i.e. under the Government and the administration of the King. By then, the population has already grown along what is known as old town; all the part of the road which, coming from Logroño, reached Ecclesiatical and consisted of the first houses that emerged in the borough, and the new town; the rest of the road that runs from the Cathedral to the Burgos exit and that is the result of a plan designed to facilitate the settlement of new people coming to the population.

This population growth occurred as a result of the privileges which were granted porAlfonso VIII in 1187 and 1207, to enhance the growth of the borough. At the end of the 13th century, had already appeared the San Pedro district, at the foot of the Cathedral, and the suburb of Margubete in the North.

Throughout the 14th and 15th centuries, the wall is built and appear the suburb of La Puebla in the South, the neighbourhood of the market behind the Cathedral and Pinar road, with what the city acquires distribution which we know today as the old town.

The 16th century meet the development and flourishing of the city, reaching 3,000 inhabitants, including those of the new suburbs that come then; the San Roque, near the East Gate of the Pine Street, and San Francisco, around the convent of the same name.

After a 17th century full of uncertainty and crisis as in the rest of Spain, 18th-century catches the rise of a new urban development, fruit of a new conception of society, with the refurbishment of the Plaza Mayor with the building of the city and the City Council; the new walks and the race rides and above all, rises the Tower exempt in the space occupied until then jail, now moved to the building of the city.

In the 19th century, Santo Domingo de la Calzada becomes, with the creation of the province of Logrono, head of County and judicial district. Focus of the Rioja Alta, reaches 4,000 inhabitants at the end of the century and during all of the last century it continues to maintain its influence in the region, becoming the Centre of services in the area. Discover a new urban development that helps grow the city in the North-South axis, locating manufacturing facilities in the area, mainly emphasizing the Polígono San Lazaro. In 1973, its old town was declared artistic historical interest.

Currently, the city of Santo Domingo de la Calzada has 6,700 inhabitants and is an important center of services of the region.

CAÑAS

The town of Cañas, headquarters of the splendid Santa Maria Salvador Cistercian Monastery, is forty kilometres from Logroño. Its municipal – 9.8 square kilometers, in the region of riojaltena of Nájera – is crossed by the Río Tuerto and shows a landscape of regular relief: a mild decline along the current, wide plains covered with cereal and spaced, some faint almost always deforested hills. So its altitude, of 657 meters in the town, remains nearly uniform in the rest of the municipality.

It is located on the route of the monasteries, between San Millán de la Cogolla, Santo Domingo de La Calzada, and Nájera. Easily accessible by road.

The fate of the place has been secular nuns bernadas, who was yielded in the year 1170 both rods as Canillas. The monastery, visited daily by those who want to enjoy is one of the most refined Gothic of the region – and the figure of Santo Domingo de Silos, son of the village, they are its most marked elements.

Basically agricultural, its population has dropped from the 1950s. It had grown since the beginning of the century, from 227 inhabitants in the year 1900 to 1950, but after a gradual decline in 284 321 in 1960, its population decline accelerated: 195 in 1970, 138 in 1981, and 127 today, figure which increases up to 200 during the summer months.